Supplements for Senior Dogs
As your dogs age, you will notice so many things change. My dog Junior went from a happy go-lucky pup to an old scrooge within the the span of 12 months and he didn’t seem like the same dog. He stopped wanting to go for long walks. He stopped wanting to run up and down the stairs. Little did I know that all the dry dog food I was feeding him was causing his body chronic inflammation, yeast infections, chronic pain and last but not least, he had cancer. I didn’t know it then and shrugged it off to him getting older. Then finally I was worried enough to take him to the vet and discovered that my young 6-years-old pup had a luxating patella and cancer. Talk about bad news. This happened 4 years ago. He is now free of both his luxating patella and cancer diagnosis and we did it all through changing his diet from dry food to raw food and adding supplements to his daily regimen.
Basic Supplements for senior dogs
Here is list of basic supplements that we provide for our senior dogs
- Probiotics — giving your dogs probiotics (billions of beneficial bacteria) helps keep their biggest immune organ healthy. This organ is his gut and its your dogs first line of defense against bacterial and viral infections. Giving them probiotics as often as possible helps retain the balance of the good bacteria over the bad. Probiotics are highly recommended for all stages in life both for dogs and cats. Make sure the probiotics have prebiotics as well since they are symbiotic.
- Omega 3 Fatty acids — There are so many reasons your dogs benefits from Omega 3 supplements including helping prevent and alleviate arthritis, improving health of skin and coat, better allergy reactions, helps prevent heart problems, helps maintain blood pressure and so much more!
- Digestive Enzymes — If you feed your dogs dry food, the earlier you start supplementing with digestive enzymes, the earlier they will be able to absorb and process nutrients from their food. Since commercial dry food is mainly made of starches and grain, dogs do not have the enzymes to break down these food groups. Adding Digestive Enzymes to their diet will alleviate this problem but will not solve it.
- Multivitamins — Dogs need vitamins is the same reason we need vitamins and as our dogs age the more targeted these needs are and thats why we recommend adding “Senior Support”
- Senior Support — this supplement is to strengthen functions in the digestive, circulatory, immune and nervous systems of senior pets
If you have any questions / clarifications, please contact us. We are always happy to share our experiences with pet food, supplements and toys.